Michael Leon Smith

Michael “Michael J,” “Hogg” Leon Smith, 45, departed this life April 9, 2012.

He was born June 5, 1966 to Cordellia Christine “Puddin” Lethcoe in Abingdon.

Michael J. was educated in the Pulaski County school system, graduating from Pulaski County High School in 1985. Michael played many sports throughout his life and was a power weight lifter competing in several states finishing with a personal best of 660 pounds, earning him the title of “The Strongest Man in Southwest Virginia. He played for the Roanoke Rush football team in Roanoke from 1995-1997.

He leaves to cherish his memory his wife, Sarah Farmer, of Pulaski; three children, Amber Webb, of Hopewell, Hagan Smith and Shana Farmer of Pulaski; mother and stepfather, Cordellia and William Thompson, of Roanoke; mother and father-in-law, Freda and Willie O’Dell, of Pulaski; grandmother, Margaret Webb; special father, Charles Cook; brother and sister-in-law, John and Robin Farmer, of Bedford, and Rebecca Isom, of Wytheville; aunts and uncle, Marvin and Sharon Gant, of Roanoke; Doris Holt, Penny Smith, Betty Smith, Judy Johnson, and Edith Boysaw; nieces and nephew Kaleena Sayers, Kayla Isom and Dakota Akers, and a multitude of loving cousins and friends.

Please join us at Bob White Boulevard Church of God for the celebration of Michael J’s life Saturday, April 14, at 1 p.m. Visitation will be held Friday, April 13, from 6:30-8:30 p.m., at Bob White Boulevard Church of God.

Final rites entrusted to Penn’s Funeral Home, Pulaski.

Please send online condolences to pennsfuneralhome@gmail.com.

20 Responses to Michael Leon Smith

1. pam slusher

April 14, 2012 at 10:34 pm

i have now mike for years we whent to scool together he was a great guy and a very good friend to me and my kids and husband we all loved him very much he was always happy to talk to you and jock and was so happy to have a son he come to my house and told me when he found out when he was going to have his son he was so happy mike i am going miss you very much love you my dear sweet brother from god rest in peace my friend .pam

2. Danny Spence

April 15, 2012 at 6:29 pm

RIP Micheal “J”….. “KISS THE BABIES !!!!! (I will miss you, Love you like a brother

3. sean spencer

April 15, 2012 at 8:52 pm

rip coach

• hesus hickman

May 1, 2012 at 9:00 am

aww i love yo cuzo

4. Brenda Smith

April 16, 2012 at 10:05 am

Michael J will be greatly missed as a little league football coach. He was the “best” coach my grandson ever had, which speaks volumns considering how many coaches he had. The family is in my prayers today and in the coming days. May the special memories you all hold in your hearts of Michael J sustain you in the days ahead.

5. George Williamson

April 16, 2012 at 6:26 pm

Micheal J was a great guy. Had not seen him in years but have a lot of fond / great memories!

Always full of life and I was so sad to hear of his passing.

God bless his family and friends, HE WILL BE MISSED GREATLY.

What a guy!

6. richard moser

April 16, 2012 at 11:06 pm

R.I.P MIKE GONA BE MISSED MAN I WORKED OUT WITH HIM AT YMCA GR8 GUY R.I.P MAN.GOD BLESS MY SYMPATHY TO UR FAMILY

7. Robert A. "BOB" Hudson, Jr.

April 17, 2012 at 4:05 pm

Michael J. as I always called him, was a very hard worker, and always competitive in performing in the best manner possible. I enjoyed him working in our vehicle dealerships when he was in high school. His enormous energy in performing his task at hand was contagious, and he was respected by many. No matter how tough the situation may have been, Michael J. possessed a big smile That everyone who knew him will miss. Michael loved his family dearly. May he rest in piece knowing he is in GOD’s hands.

8. Don Bishop New Athens,IL

April 20, 2012 at 5:55 pm

Wow, I’m speechless.Just found out reading the paper on the internet.Grew up down the street from each other and I moved away in 85,I still come back every Oct to see family and it never fails that i would see Michael J somewhere in town. Through all those years we still found time to BS when we saw each other, the man never forgot anyone and was a TRUE friend to all who knew him.R.I.P. number 9

9. Ben Breedlove

March 1, 2013 at 6:19 pm

What a waste, J was a great guy, and friend who had some much love to give to all he met. Don’t think we(his friends) will ever get over it.
    We pray for the kids, and family
    PEACE Ben.