The public is invited to attend a “Remembrance of Veterans and Members of the Armed Forces” Saturday, July 3 at the Pulaski County Courthouse.
The event will get underway at 1 p.m. with a remembrance at the War Memorial in front of the old courthouse building on West Main Street. This brief ceremony will be followed from 1:15 to 3 p.m. by an Open House featuring tours of heritage exhibits on all three floors of the courthouse, refreshments, and a chance to see the courthouse’s latest exhibit “Early Churches of Pulaski County.”
R. Lloyd Mathews’ book, “Pulaski County, Virginia, An Historic and Descriptive Sketch, 1907-2007” will be available for purchase.
The Early Churches exhibit is located on the third floor of the old courthouse and features 22 churches established before 1878. Sketches of the county’s earliest church, New Dublin Presbyterian Church, are also included in the presentation.
New Dublin Presbyterian Church was established in its present location in 1781, but it has roots back to 1769, according to a description of the new exhibit.
Other featured churches include Page’s Meeting House, the first Methodist church west of the Alleghany Mountains, and Old Harmony Meeting House in Draper, founded in 1808.
According to county officials, the exhibit is the result of years of research by the team of Elinor Farmer, Patsy King, Lloyd Mathews, Elrica Graham and the late Ann Armbrister, who passed away earlier this month. Nancy Burchett served as director and James Harman was the design artist.
A detailed church history book, Pulaski County Church Histories” has been compiles as a sequel to the church exhibit. This book includes information on more recent churches.
The book is available in the New River Room of the old courthouse building, the Pulaski County Library, and the Free Memorial Library in Dublin.