Duncan Suzuki

Widgetized Section

Go to Admin » Appearance » Widgets » and move Gabfire Widget: Social into that MastheadOverlay zone

Xaloy workers can get more help

Workers who lost their jobs as a result of 2008 layoffs at Xaloy in Pulaski will be eligible to receive federal assistance, according to Ninth District Congressman Rick Boucher.
Boucher said the workers will be eligible under the U.S. Department of Labor’s Trade Readjustment Assistance, commonly known as ATRA, for benefits to assist “secondarily affected workers with job retraining and health care premium payments.”
Any Xaloy worker who lost a job on or after June 2, 2008 is eligible to receive assistance.
The congressman said the workers also will be eligible for healthcare benefits through the Health Care Tax Credit, which provides laid off workers with 65 percent of the cost of health insurance premiums. The remaining 35 percent of the premium is paid by the employees.
The Department of Labor will provide job outreach services, career counseling, job search and job development assistance, classroom training (including adult basic education and GED completion) to those workers affected by the workforce reduction.
Other TRA services available include on-the-job training and transportation assistance, as well as Alternative Trade Act Assistance (ATAA) will be provided to those workers who qualify.
ATAA is a federal benefit program for workers over the age of 50 years who qualify for TRA benefits. In addition to the traditional TRA benefits, workers who qualify under the ATAA program are eligible for a federal subsidy of up to $10,000 over a two-year period if a worker regains employment within 26 weeks of being dislocated from Xaloy and if the new salary is less than $50,000 and less than his or her former salary.
“This federal assistance is of critical importance to the workers who have been affected by the layoffs at Xaloy,” Boucher said. “These workers deserve our help, and some of the most important and meaningful services we can offer relate to training individuals for new jobs and assisting them in maintaining health insurance coverage for themselves and their families.”
He continued, “The provision of this federal assistance is an important step in assuring that the displaced workers have the training, health care premium payments and other benefits needed to find new employment.”
Frequently, workers who lose their jobs find that they do not possess the skills necessary to compete effectively for employment in another field. The use of federal funds to provide the new skills and job placement services are wise investments that strengthen both the earning potential of the region’s residents and the base of the regional economy.
Boucher explained that the retraining and health care premium funding would be furnished by the U.S. Department of Labor under the Trade Adjustment Assistance Program, which provides assistance for workers who have lost their jobs due to foreign imports or plant relocations outside the United States. In addition to job retraining benefits, the program also provides up to 52 weeks of additional unemployment insurance benefits beyond the normal 26 weeks available to all workers who lose jobs. The additional assistance enables unemployed workers to continue searching for work or to continue participation in training programs.
Boucher said he is pleased that the Department of Labor acted positively to approve assistance for the displaced Xaloy employees.
“I want to commend the Department of Labor for its timely response to this situation and for providing the funding necessary for job training and health insurance assistance to these deserving people,” he said.

Comments

comments

Xaloy workers can get more help

Workers who lost their jobs as a result of 2008 layoffs at Xaloy in Pulaski will be eligible to receive federal assistance, according to Ninth District Congressman Rick Boucher.
Boucher said the workers will be eligible under the U.S. Department of Labor’s Trade Readjustment Assistance, commonly known as ATRA, for benefits to assist “secondarily affected workers with job retraining and health care premium payments.”
Any Xaloy worker who lost a job on or after June 2, 2008 is eligible to receive assistance.
The congressman said the workers also will be eligible for healthcare benefits through the Health Care Tax Credit, which provides laid off workers with 65 percent of the cost of health insurance premiums. The remaining 35 percent of the premium is paid by the employees.
The Department of Labor will provide job outreach services, career counseling, job search and job development assistance, classroom training (including adult basic education and GED completion) to those workers affected by the workforce reduction.
Other TRA services available include on-the-job training and transportation assistance, as well as Alternative Trade Act Assistance (ATAA) will be provided to those workers who qualify.
ATAA is a federal benefit program for workers over the age of 50 years who qualify for TRA benefits. In addition to the traditional TRA benefits, workers who qualify under the ATAA program are eligible for a federal subsidy of up to $10,000 over a two-year period if a worker regains employment within 26 weeks of being dislocated from Xaloy and if the new salary is less than $50,000 and less than his or her former salary.
“This federal assistance is of critical importance to the workers who have been affected by the layoffs at Xaloy,” Boucher said. “These workers deserve our help, and some of the most important and meaningful services we can offer relate to training individuals for new jobs and assisting them in maintaining health insurance coverage for themselves and their families.”
He continued, “The provision of this federal assistance is an important step in assuring that the displaced workers have the training, health care premium payments and other benefits needed to find new employment.”
Frequently, workers who lose their jobs find that they do not possess the skills necessary to compete effectively for employment in another field. The use of federal funds to provide the new skills and job placement services are wise investments that strengthen both the earning potential of the region’s residents and the base of the regional economy.
Boucher explained that the retraining and health care premium funding would be furnished by the U.S. Department of Labor under the Trade Adjustment Assistance Program, which provides assistance for workers who have lost their jobs due to foreign imports or plant relocations outside the United States. In addition to job retraining benefits, the program also provides up to 52 weeks of additional unemployment insurance benefits beyond the normal 26 weeks available to all workers who lose jobs. The additional assistance enables unemployed workers to continue searching for work or to continue participation in training programs.
Boucher said he is pleased that the Department of Labor acted positively to approve assistance for the displaced Xaloy employees.
“I want to commend the Department of Labor for its timely response to this situation and for providing the funding necessary for job training and health insurance assistance to these deserving people,” he said.

Comments

comments

You must be logged in to post a comment Login