Duncan Suzuki

Widgetized Section

Go to Admin » Appearance » Widgets » and move Gabfire Widget: Social into that MastheadOverlay zone

Fire displaces Pulaski family

An electrical short is believed to have sparked a morning fire that displaced a Pulaski family from their home on Thanksgiving.
Firefighters received a call at the 1112 High Street home of Raymond and Sandra Miller just before 9 a.m. Thursday, according to Firefighter Brandon Hamblin. He said 30 firefighters from Pulaski Fire Department and four trucks responded to the scene.
The fire was under control within half an hour of the call, but firefighters didn’t complete the “clean-up” and leave the scene until 11:05 a.m.
Raymond Miller said he first became aware of a problem when the house breaker kicked off. He said he pulled down the stairs to the attic, when he heard a crackling noise above the bathroom ceiling.
He told his wife to call 911 and then tried to put out the blaze with a fire extinguisher. However, the smoke was too heavy.
Miller said his son got a water hose and tried to put out the fire, but wasn’t successful.
Hamblin said firefighters found smoke coming from the roof when they arrived on the scene.
An estimated 350 gallons of water were used to put out the fire, which was contained to the attic. Damage was estimated at $67,000, Hamblin said.
No one was injured.
Raymond Miller said he believes a ceiling light fixture or an exhaust fan may have shorted out, causing the fire.
He said he and his family were not able to stay in the residence for Thanksgiving because the water and electric service had to be cut off due to the fire. He said he didn’t know where they were going to stay.
While firefighters were on the scene, several neighbors stopped by, offering assistance to the family, including a Thanksgiving meal.
Miller said they were in the process of cooking a turkey in a Crock-pot when the fire started.

Comments

comments

Fire displaces Pulaski family

An electrical short is believed to have sparked a morning fire that displaced a Pulaski family from their home on Thanksgiving.
Firefighters received a call at the 1112 High Street home of Raymond and Sandra Miller just before 9 a.m. Thursday, according to Firefighter Brandon Hamblin. He said 30 firefighters from Pulaski Fire Department and four trucks responded to the scene.
The fire was under control within half an hour of the call, but firefighters didn’t complete the “clean-up” and leave the scene until 11:05 a.m.
Raymond Miller said he first became aware of a problem when the house breaker kicked off. He said he pulled down the stairs to the attic, when he heard a crackling noise above the bathroom ceiling.
He told his wife to call 911 and then tried to put out the blaze with a fire extinguisher. However, the smoke was too heavy.
Miller said his son got a water hose and tried to put out the fire, but wasn’t successful.
Hamblin said firefighters found smoke coming from the roof when they arrived on the scene.
An estimated 350 gallons of water were used to put out the fire, which was contained to the attic. Damage was estimated at $67,000, Hamblin said.
No one was injured.
Raymond Miller said he believes a ceiling light fixture or an exhaust fan may have shorted out, causing the fire.
He said he and his family were not able to stay in the residence for Thanksgiving because the water and electric service had to be cut off due to the fire. He said he didn’t know where they were going to stay.
While firefighters were on the scene, several neighbors stopped by, offering assistance to the family, including a Thanksgiving meal.
Miller said they were in the process of cooking a turkey in a Crock-pot when the fire started.

Comments

comments

You must be logged in to post a comment Login